Summer is in full swing, well for some of us. Cold drip and cold brew are becoming more and more popular. However, having a cold drip system at home can be rather expensive and only used in the summer months. Cold drip coffee has a totally different taste profile compared to any other methods, especially hot brews. It’s refreshing, rich in flavour and delicious. With hot brewing, the delicate flavours and aromas are masked.
I have created a cold drip system that requires only an Aeropress and a 600ml bottle of water. It’s a great and easy way to brew cold drip.
What you will need:
- Aeropress filter papers
- 600ml bottle
- Carafe (make sure it can hold over 500mls)
- Place the Aeropress filter papers in the Aeropress cap and rinse the paper throughly. We do this to remove the paper taste from the filter.
- Screw the cap onto the Aeropress chamber and place it onto a carafe. Make sure the carafe can hold over 500mL of liquid.
- Grind 55 grams of coffee to a coarse grind. Place it into the chamber. You can experiment with grind size to adjust taste.
- Give the chamber a good tap to settle the grounds and try to level out the coffee bed.
- Add a filter paper to the top of the bed of ground coffee. The filter paper helps distribute the water. (This step isn't essential so don't worry too much).
- Grab your bottle and tip the water into the carafe. Don’t throw this water out. Cut the bottom of the bottle off. I used a pair of scissors. Leave the lid on. By cutting the bottom off we are simulating a drip rate.
- Place the bottle (lid down) into the chamber.
- Add 600ml of water to the bottle.
- Now the tricky part. By unscrewing the lid slightly we should be able create a drip rate.
- We want the drip rate to be about 1 drip per second. You probably need to check the drip rate after about 20 minutes.
- When you get your drip rate running well let the water drip away. Check it every now and then to make sure everything is ok.
- Once the water is finished you should have a rich and delicious cold drip coffee.
The way I drink it is 150ml of coffee and add 100grams of ice. If you want to spice it up, use 100ml of your cold drip and add 150ml of lemonade.
All my methods are straightforward and simple. I hope they give you an understanding to brew better coffee to the taste you like.